Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Front Yard: 7/21/15

Tuesday morning was overcast, as promised, so I headed out with my camera.

There aren't many new things blooming, but everything out front has filled in over the past two weeks, and two of the four dahlias out there are just starting to get goin'.  Yay!

My mom shared this one with me years ago, and there must have been two varieties mixed together, because some of the flowers are lavender and white, and some are solid lavender.
You can see the solid one on the far left side in the first photo.






The other one is called, 'Blue Bell', and its first flower is just barely emerging.



The "Tina" rose has fully recovered from her early, annual, spring black spot breakout, and is now healthy and in a full-on second bloom.
I love her.








Random mixed pot.
Although, two of the mix (coleus and fuchsia) are just sitting there doing nothing.


I gave away 95% percent of my six kagillion Cleome starts this year, and so far, the ones I stuck in are all white.










The Black Eyed Susan vine has been slow this year.
I get a sporadic two or three blooms here and there.


The usual pulled back shots.
Looking at these pictures, it's all sort of just a plant riot right now.







My mom came over a few days before our open garden and helped cross things off my to-do list.
She mentioned the bricks in the path, something I had been meaning to deal with.
They were level and buried after redoing the whole path last year, but the bark had settled and was packed down, so the bricks were becoming a tripping hazard.  
I was planning on redoing it, and getting them level again, but it just didn't happen.
So I told her to just tear them out.
We ended up adding to the brick edging, and making it two high, as a solution to, "Where are we gonna stash the bricks?!"
I think it turned out cute.
I got a bag of bark mulch to fill in the divets, and level it all out.
Done and done.





I love this pot right now.


Grace gave me a start of this Persicaria and I'm in love with it.
The Hardy Fuchsia is new this spring and it's just now starting to bloom.
It's called 'Galadriel.'






Yes, that whole area is a sea of bird seed.
It's the bane of my existence.
They are the messiest eaters EVER.


Caladium in the watering can shot.


The obligatory window box shots.




A tuberous begonia, started from seed.
Thank you, Ann.




A cute little Aster, blooming in spite of his shady home.


My mom had this cute little Coreopsis reseed like crazy in her yard this year.
So she shared, and I stuck it in all over the place.




The rest are technically on the side of the house, and not in the front yard, but I'm throwin' 'em in anyway.
First, I LOVE the Wild Impatiens that Grace shared with me this year.
Love, love, love.





A happy hanging Fuchsia.


When we got married, we had a DIY wedding.
Surprise!
Anyway, our favors were homemade seed packets, filled with zinnia seeds.
My mom has had the giant leftover bag of seeds in her freezer for 11 years.
She decided to start some this year, and this is a portion of the result.



Just a cute little spot.



And last, I bought this 'Belle of Woking' Clematis in March, and it finally has one flower.
So pretty.
I have high hopes for next year. :)





That's it for today, kids.
I actually took some pictures of food last night.
I know, it's been awhile.
'Tis the season of this being a garden blog.
I also put together a real live meal plan for the first time in forever.
Remember when I used to share those on a regular basis?
I'll see if I can get them both on here this week.
Tata for now.




12 comments:

  1. Your garden(s) are just beautiful. I especially love the photos that happen to capture the happy insects rooting around in your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nora. I do love my resident bees.

      Delete
  2. It never occurred to me to plant that tiny pink Coreopsis in pots under trees/shrubs. Great idea. I'm so glad 'Tina' recovered from her earlier woes. She's really gorgeous. Also I had no idea Zinnia seeds could still be viable after that many years. Amazing. Beautiful front gardens, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many varieties! You must just love strolling and seeing everything. So beautiful. I hope you'll come visit The Maple Hill Hop and share your bounty! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning!
    Wow! There's so much to comment about that I always forget half of what I want to say by the time I get to the end of your photos. I think what stands out most is the beautiful green garden you have growing under/around your tree. Your hostas are so full and lush. Beautiful!
    Oh! Two of my hostas have flowers! I am beyond happy about it :0)
    LOVING your black-eyed Susans . . . and new path!
    Seriously, I wish I was local so that I could've joined in on your Open Garden Tour!
    Glad to hear that you're enjoying cooler weather. We actually had rain last weekend! Crazy!
    We've been enjoying (and appreciating) one of the coolest Summers I can ever remember. Hoping that the rain coming up from Mexico's hurricanes continues to keep moisture headed our way. We need it like crazy!
    Have a great week!


    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love seeing Dahlias but I tried growing them and they'd get mildew and die off. I probably overwatered them and caused it but I haven't been getting them for that reason. I love the wide variety of color blooms they offer. Yours are looking very happy! I tried the Cleome one year (here it's an annual). I had planted it in a container and it got so tall I really had to work to keep it upright. I like the interesting flower it offers though and should try it again- but perhaps in the ground this time! I only use black sunflower seeds and the birds eat it all up (except for the hulls which can be messy). The mixed seed with millet gets thrown on the ground because they're searching for the other seeds they want. There are only a few birds like morning doves that actually like the millet. Your garden has developed a lot since I first found you and looks awesome. I hope the garden party was a lot of fun and I'm sure you got a lot of attention from the visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks as wonderful as ever. I am impressed that 11 year old seeds stored in a freezer produced such nice zinnias! Can you give me a few tips for Cleome? This is the first year I've had them. Mine are okay, but not great. Do you pinch yours to get them to branch?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed the garden tour! You truly have an eye for plant placement and garden art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful - I bet your home is a favorite to drive by with all the beauty. I love the simplicity of your pictures, very peaceful.
    Carole @ Garden Up Green

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks great! I love your path, looks good! This is my first year having cleome in my gardens and I am in love with it. Question, once it starts to go to seed, do you clip the seeds off or just let it be? It has been so hot here that my hostas are starting to get Sun damage. Do you ever have that problem?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks great! I love your path, looks good! This is my first year having cleome in my gardens and I am in love with it. Question, once it starts to go to seed, do you clip the seeds off or just let it be? It has been so hot here that my hostas are starting to get Sun damage. Do you ever have that problem?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks great! I love your path, looks good! This is my first year having cleome in my gardens and I am in love with it. Question, once it starts to go to seed, do you clip the seeds off or just let it be? It has been so hot here that my hostas are starting to get Sun damage. Do you ever have that problem?

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover