Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Enchilada Stuffed Summer Squash + The Latest Meal Plan

'Tis the season of trying to come up with 101 ways to use zucchini. I'm only growing one plant this year, but my neighbors have been sharing theirs with us, too.  I'm not complaining.  I love it, and the kids can put away all the yummy zucchini baked goods like nobody's business.  Pancakes with shredded zucchini in them are a super popular item at my house.


I have a Zucchini Pinterest board, to keep track of recipe ideas for this time of year, and I had this one planned for one of our meals.  Then I was given a GIANT pattypan squash on our neighborhood garden tour and thought, why not?
And no, these are not fancy food blogger photos, they're real life dinner table photos.



The kids refuse to eat any sort of squash, summer or winter, (I know, who raised them?!), so this was all for me and The Dad.  I put some of the filling in tortillas for the kiddos.  Everyone's happy.

Here's the link for the recipe I used as a starting point:  

That pan is a size up from a 9 x 13, if that gives you a better idea of how big the squash was.
Huge.
We each only ate about a half of one half, so we got a second meal out of it.



I ended up doubling the filling to fill my giant squash, and still have enough for the kids' tortillas, and I also threw in a can of refried beans.  I upped the garlic and seasoning amounts, to suit our taste, as well.  The recipe calls for diced, cooked chicken, but you could easily omit that for a vegetarian meal.  Whole black beans would be good, too.  To finish it off, we topped it with all the usuals:  sour cream, salsa, cilantro, jalapeno, a banana pepper, and fresh lime wedges.  A sliced cucumber from the garden, some kale-cabbage slaw given to us by a neighbor, and it was time to eat.

Here's dinner on my plate:








Really, really delicious.
And here's some of the other meals we have planned:

Pork Medallions with Roasted Figs, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Sauteed Beet Greens, and Bread
3-Cheese Zucchini Lasagna Rolls, Heirloom Tomato-Basil Salad, and Bread
* Mini Grilled Pizzas and Cucumber, Tomato, Garbanzo Bean Salad
* "French Food" (my nephew's coined term for picky food night)
BBQ Country-Style Ribs, Corn on the Cob, and Loaded Boiled Potatoes


5 comments:

  1. I've been making zucchini pickles with mine lately, they're really yummy and refreshing. Do your kids like pickles? The recipe I've been using has a lot of sugar in it, so they might like them. They come out a lot like bread and butter pickles. I'm going to try pickle relish too. I only have two plants and we're swimming in zukes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you Mindy, I'm a zucchini freak! I have a zucchini pinterest board, but I bet yours is far more loaded with ideas than mine. I am going there RIGHT away! Love these enchiladas! So cheesy too! My zucchini did not perform very well this year due to a recent unexpected drought and with other personal stuff going on in my life, I failed to water religiously. I hope to be a better steward of my garden next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! YUM!! Your dinner looks so delicious!
    I LOVE the idea of an enchilada stuffed summer squash. I am totally going to try this!!!!!
    So glad you shared it!
    I hope your weather is on the cooler side so that you can enjoy a little time off from your garden watering!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Alicia. It was really, really good. :)

      Delete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover