Monday, June 15, 2015

Rustic Rhubarb Tart

My rhubarb cup runneth over.  That's a good thing.  I think I'm going to try freezing some this year.  It would be fun pull it out for muffins and breads in the winter.

I saw this recipe on The Art Of Doing Stuff, and gave her a hard time for not trying my Rhubarb Takes The Cake recipe yet, after giving it to her LAST year.  It's SO good, so I'm always leery about making anything new, 'cause mine's the best.  ;o)


She said she'd try mine, and I told her I'd try hers, so that's what I did.  Dueling rhubarbs.  A duel where everyone who's around to eat dessert, wins.  Now, I'm not gonna lie, I like my rhubarb cake better.  Hahahahaha  In all fairness though, I grew up eating it, so I'm a little partial.  But this tart was really, really good.  And it's a perfect base recipe for using other fruits that are in season.  I had always wanted to make a free-form tart like this, so it was a good excuse to finally do it.

I made my own crust, because it is SO EASY if you have a stand mixer.  Use this recipe and I guarantee you'll never go back to store bought.  I double the recipe any time I make it, and stick what I don't use in the freezer.  It's good for sweet and savory recipes because it doesn't have any sugar in it.  I can't say enough good things about it.

I didn't take any progress pics, 'cause it's all pretty basic and self explanatory, and Karen (we're imaginary BFF's, so I can refer to her by name) has some in her post.  
Here it is, ready to be baked.






And, hot out of the oven.




My sister's family was coming for dinner that night, so I made it in the morning and kept it on the counter, covered, until we were ready to dig in.




It probably would have been even better warm, but it was hotter than heck out, so we ate it room temp.
It did not suck.





Good stuff, kids.
Check out Karen's full recipe here:


3 comments:

  1. YUM! This looks amazing my friend! How fun that you guys did a rhubarb swap! And I am going to have to pin that recipe for the dough as my brother is gone all summer and I am in charge of all of his peaches from his 2 trees! Peach tart anyone?!?! Thanks for passing this one along! Hope you had yourself a great day today! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that looks wonderful. I tried to plant rhubarb last year but a happy little squirrel interfered. Bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe I've never had rhubarb?! I know, shameful! But your tart looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover