Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Zucchini Cobbler

I know what you're thinking.  ZUCCHINI cobbler?!  That's crazy and insane!  Yes, yes it is.  But it's also amazingly delicious.


So the story is, my neighbor brought me out a piece of something to try.  I took a bite, made yummy noises, and then she proceeded to make me guess what it was.  My initial thought was rhubarb mixed with something else.  Maybe apples.  Then she told me what it was and I made the kids try a bite.  And they guessed every fruit and berry under the sun.  They got it right either.  But they wanted more.


She gave me a whole pan of it to take home, so I took some to a get-together at a friend's house.  And, of course, I made everyone try to guess what it was.  My sister swore up and down it was plums or Italian prunes.  Even after I told her it was zucchini.  Everyone else thought apple.

I always think of cobbler as biscuit-y, and to me, this is more crisp-like.  Crumbly topping with lots of cinnamon.  It's good, kids. Would I lie to you?

My neighbor was nice enough to share the recipe.

Zucchini Cobbler
Printable Recipe
16 - 20 servings
(the pan she made for me was 8-inch square, so you could easily cut the recipe in half)

Filling:
8 cups chopped, seeded, and peeled zucchini (about 3 pounds)
2/3 C lemon juice
1 C sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Crust:
4 C all-purpose flour
2 C sugar
1 1/2 C cold butter, cubed
1 tsp ground cinnamon

For filling, in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, cook and stir zucchini and lemon juice for 15-20 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.  Add the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; simmer 1 minute longer.  Remove from heat and set aside.

For crust, combine the flour and sugar in a bowl, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir 1/2 cup into zucchini mixture.  Press half of remaining crust mixture into a greased 9-by-13 baking dish.  Spread zucchini over top.  Crumble remaining crust mixture over zucchini.  Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden and bubble.


I saved one lone piece just for you.  
Well, for your benefit anyway.





I know you have a giant zucchini, just waiting to become dessert.
Okay, if you're off the sweets this week, I have these zucchini recipes that you can make for dinner.
They don't suck either.


Please head over to my sidebar to see the parties I link up to.


8 comments:

  1. Bottomline: this is BRILLIANT! I love zucchini bread so this must be fabulous. And, I like the fact that we can get a little veggie into our dessert, right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love zucchini - can you believe it's the one veggie my hubby hates! Oh well, more for me!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks good! I want to try it. I love zucchini desserts. I have a really delicious recipe for zucchini chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could fool my kids into eating this it would be the best day ever! I'm thinking I'll wait until school starts so they can't see me make it - possibly add a little vanilla ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has anyone made this? I wonder if its good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has anyone made this? I wonder if its good

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover