Saturday, January 5, 2013

Grilled Marmalade, Ginger and Mustard Chicken Thighs


I feel like I'm purging my past dinners onto you.  This one is from November.  I'm cleaning recipes off my desk and pictures off my computer.  So, yeah, I guess I am purging them onto you.  But I couldn't just delete this one.  It was delicious.  And I need to stick the recipe into my keep binder.  It may actually go on the next round of menu making.

This is another one from our newspaper.  Here it is with my notes:

Grilled Marmalade, Ginger and Mustard Chicken Thighs

1/2 C orange marmalade
6 Tbsp grainy mustard
2 Tbsp grated orange zest
1/3 C freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1/2 Tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 bone-in chicken thighs

In a large bowl, whisk together the marmalade, mustard, orange zest, orange juice, ginger, salt and pepper. Add the thighs and rub the meat with the marmalade mixture, carefully slipping some of the mixture under the skin of each thigh.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.

Remove the chicken from the fridge.  If using a gas grill, preheat the outer burners to medium-high, leaving the remaining element on low.  If using a charcoal grill, pile the coals in heaps on the left and right side, leaving a strip in the center without charcoal to create a cool zone.  Oil the grates.

Place the chicken skin side down on the cool area of the grill, cover and cook for 9 minutes.  Flip the chicken, cover and continue to grill about another 9 minutes, or until it registers 165.  Place the chicken skin-side down over the hottest part of the grill and cook, uncovered, until the skin is crisped and browned, about 2 minutes.

We had ours with wild rice stuffing, acorn squash and homemade cranberry sauce.  So good.


Here's dinner on my plate:






Yeah, that chicken was good.


5 comments:

  1. good topping for backed ham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy, I'm trying your crockpot chalupa recipe today - I just put it in and it already smells soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, Mindy--now you have my mouth watering for BBQ chicken! This looks wonderful and I'm pinning it. The sides that you served with it also look wonderful. Do you BBQ over the winter? Some of our neighbors do, but I usually don't because I do charcoal grilling and it just takes too long to do it outside when the weather's chilly, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, looks like another keeper. You can purge my way anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds wonderful, Mindy. Now I am craving BBQ chicken, too! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover