Friday, January 4, 2013

Chicken Noodle Satay + Our Latest Meal Plan


I made this dinner weeks ago and then never posted it.  I came across the pictures and decided it was too good not to share.




This recipe came out of our paper.  It seems long, but it's just wordy.  If you've ever cooked before, most of the directions are things you'd already know.  Here it is with my notes:

Chicken Noodle Satay

1/4 C fish sauce
2 Tbsp minced fresh lemon grass
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1/4-inch-thick slices
3/4 pound thin rice stick noodles (you could substitute spaghetti or fettuccine noodles)
3 carrots, peeled and finely shredded or grated
2 1/2 C thinly sliced Boston lettuce leaves (I didn't have this, but added lots of Thai basil)
1 1/2 C fresh bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
About 3 tsp veggie oil
3 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
Satay Sauce (see recipe)

In a medium bowl, combine the fish sauce, lemon grass and garlic.  Add the chicken and toss to lightly coat.  Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.

Soak noodles in a bowl of hot water until softened, about 10 minutes.  Drain noodles and then cook in a saucepan of boiling water until just tender.  Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. (I skipped this step and left them warm.)

Arrange noodles on a serving platter and top with the carrots, lettuce and bean sprouts, arranging them randomly or in separate concentric circles and reserving room in the center for the chicken.  (I just put the noodles in a bowl and piled all the toppings on a platter so we could doctor up our own the way we wanted.)

Heat a heay skillet over high heat.  Add 1 teaspoon oil and heat until almost smoking hot.  Add the chicken in batches and sear for about 1 1/2 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to the pan as needed. 

Arrange the chicken over the noodles and sprinkle the cilantro on top.  Pass Satay Sauce separately.

You could keep this vegetarian by omitting the chicken and/or adding some tofu.



Here's the fixin's at my house:








Satay Sauce  
(you could also use store-bought peanut sauce as a time saver)

1 1/4 C coconut milk
3/4 C smooth peanut butter
3 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
3 Tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.  (If you don't want to wash a big appliance, you could just whisk everything together.)  Serve or refrigerate for up to a week.



And of course, here's dinner in my bowl:







Yes, that's a giant portion.
I'm pretty sure I had seconds, too.
Don't judge.

I'm off to the grocery store later today and this is what we'll be eating:




3 comments:

  1. That looks fabulous and I love how you can have it customizable for everyone by just laying out the ingredients and letting everyone have at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I must be just about recovered from the flu because I am wanting every single dish you have mentioned in your menu! Every.Single.Dish. I'm going to be dragging myself into the kitchen to cook tomorrow for sure. Thanks for sharing your menu plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo! Gonna have to give this one a shot within the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover