Monday, October 8, 2012

Fall In The House


I have something to tell you.  I hope we can still be friends once you know the truth.

I'm not a fan of Halloween.  Not because it's anti-Christian or a holiday full of consumerism.  I just don't like it.  I don't like costumes.  I don't like scary movies.  I don't like haunted houses.  I don't like corn mazes that you can get lost in.  I don't like big hairy spiders.  Orange is my least favorite color.  Halloween is dumb.

There, I said it.

That being said, I have children.  Children love Halloween.  I also have a husband who was born on the day before Halloween.  He loves it too.  I got screwed.

Soooo, I dug the Halloween decorations out of the attic and I took some pictures.  'Cause I have a blog.  And that's what us blog folk do.  We take pictures of our decorations, even if we think it's a dumb holiday.  And my decorations don't necessarily scream Halloween.  Well, that's a lie.  But they're not SCARY.  And there's no cobwebs.

Okay, I'll shut up now and show you my Fall/Halloween decor.


 I wasn't going to change up the mantel, but you know what happens when you start movin' stuff around.
The whole room ends up rearranged.












This is the side table next to the couch.
The styrofoam spiders have been around for a loooong time.






Did you notice my Crown Of Thorn?  
It's blooming!


My mom made the ghosts out of styrofoam balls and an old ripped up curtain.




The plant on another side table got some bats the kids made with my mom a couple years ago.
And fresh flowers.







The coffee table got a little scarecrow I've had for a hundred years.


Nothin' too exciting on the dresser next to the couch.
Just a pretty hydrangea stem.



I had rearranged two of the shelves on the bookshelf a couple weeks ago, so they just got silly little plastic pumpkins with a battery operated tea light inside.








I also made some new covers for the couch pillows a couple weeks ago.
The patterned fabric was something I bought when I was decorating the kids' Shared Room.  
The grey linen-look fabric came from two 84" curtain panels that I got at a garage sale for $5 bucks and the cream one is a from a sweater I cut up.
Now all I need is for the couch fairy to bring me a new couch!




The wine cabinet in the dining room got another light up pumpkin and a lidded jar filled with mini plastic pumpkins.





And last, I stuck a couple pumpkin shaped candles on the shelves in the kitchen.




So there ya go.
Our house is officially on the fall bandwagon.
Now all I need to do is plug in the crock pot.



Please see my left side bar for all the places I like to party.

 Cottage & Vine

10 comments:

  1. Well, for someone that doesn't like Halloween, you've certainly done a great job decorating for it! Just the right amount of Halloween to keep mom and kids happy :) I love Halloween, bu ti'm not decorating at all this year. Maybe I'll toss some pumpkins out on the porch, but all the other energy will be saved for decorating for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your decorations! You're such a good sport :-)

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute :) I'm not a big fan of decorating for holidays. It means I have to dust everything first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your autumn decorations are beautiful, Mindy. I love the pillow covers you made and the hydrangea blooms are gorgeous! I don't go heavy on Halloween, either, and kind of stick to autumn decorations that can stay in place all the way through to Thanksgiving, but I did find a couple of pretty vintage Halloween graphics that I printed out in color and used propped up in a basket of gourds and another filled with corks. Also a couple of crows I found at Dollar Tree last year that amused me! Glad you liked the bar cart I styled yesterday, and yes, they are roses in the wine bottle--my 'Phylis Bide' climbing rose still has some nice clusters of flowers, so I used those. It's supposed to rain the end of the week--I probably need to start bringing in the bazillion tomatoes I still have so they can ripen inside. I am officially really tired of watering duties, and have been slacking off big time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great sense of style and common sense!..wow I wish you were my daughter-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those little ghosts - too cute! I haven't even ventured into the Halloween decorating realm...maybe I should do that today.
    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the only person in the world who will add spiders and fresh flowers to an arrangement. lol I hate Halloween too, but you do a much better job at swallowing it and decorating anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two streets over the Griswolds have moved in. There are enough orange lights to light an airport runway. I did not know people did that. Well I knew they did that, but it usually happens at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Cute! I love the little mice, and the mouse door. I also may have to make some cute little ghosts like those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Halloween isn't my favorite holiday either, but you are sweet to do it for the kids (and husband). Cute post!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover