Monday, June 25, 2012

The Lilies Are Blooming!

I've got some recent pics of what's goin' on in the front yard for ya today.


The Dad got me both of these lilies on separate occasions.  
One is a deep red color and the other is more orange.







This climbing rose is my nemesis.
It has blackspot and rust so bad right now, it's amazing it's actually blooming.
I'm really close to ripping the dang thing out.






This other climber was in the backyard when I bought the house.
It gets blackspot too, but not quite so bad.
It's more of a rambler than a climber I think.  
It needs a home where it can go wild, 'cause I'm constantly whacking it back.





I planted a whole packet of sweet peas this year and ONE came up.
I have no idea what happened.
But the good news is, they reseeded themselves in the old sink where I had them last year.
There's just two plants, but they've gone crazy.






Remember the amazingly beautiful giant pink begonia I had hanging in the front yard tree last year?
Well, they didn't have any when I was at the nursery, so I went with a yellow one with smaller flowers instead.
We'll see if it can live up to its predecessor.





I guess that's it for now.
The neighbor gave me something old and rusty that I love, so I'll be sharing that in a post soon.


4 comments:

  1. Your lilies are gorgeous and so are the roses...love how they are climbing the fence! You have such a beautiful cottage garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all so beautiful! What an amazing garden

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color of your lilies! Too bad about the problems with the roses. I use a spray by Spectracide. I all but gave up with roses because of disease and insects- but I went ahead and tried this spray and it's working. I resisted for years using any chemicals but I finally caved.
    The sweet pea is so pretty- I should try growing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the flowers are just gorgeous, Mindy! Love the deep red lily-do you happen to know what variety it is? I had a dark red lily bloom in a backyard bed, and I don't even remember planting it! I had some soft pink lilies in there, and thought maybe this one had reverted back to one of the parent plants, but I have no clue--it is really pretty, though. Over time, I've pulled out a lot of the hybrid tea roses and been replacing them with old garden roses--they seem to be able to take all our rain and not succumb to black spot as badly as the hybrids. Most of them get pretty huge, though, so you need room for them. But I still have a few hybrids, because I love them for the cut flowers, but the leaves on mine look nasty. I read, but have been too busy to try it, if you make Cornell spray (idea from Cornell University horticulture dept.): 1 1/2 tsp. Baking soda, 1 quart water, and 1 tsp. canola oil, mix it up and spray it on the rose leaves, it leaves a powdery residue on the leaves but is supposed to help prevent blackspot, powdery mildew and rust, and it is supposed to not harm beneficial insects, unlike Neem Oil. Of course, with all the rain we have, you'd have to reapply after rain, which is a pain. I meant to try it this year, but just got too busy. I may yet on the hybrid teas. Take care, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover