Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sesame Chicken With Apple-Carrot Slaw

I ripped this recipe from a magazine, but as usual, I can't remember which one.

The only complaint I had was that the chicken was too salty.  Really, really good, but salty.  That's an easy fix for next time.  The slaw was delicious.  I considered throwing the two into tortillas for wraps, but ended up having it with steamed rice instead.  If you're off carbs, just the salad and chicken would be a yummy dinner too.

Also, I don't know if I'm missing part of the recipe or they just omitted certain things on purpose, but there are no amounts for the slaw ingredients, so I just faked it.  I'll include the amounts I used.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Sesame Chicken With Apple-Carrot Slaw 

1 C panko bread crumbs
3 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 tsp kosher salt (too much!)
1 Tbsp melted butter
1 beaten egg
1 - 2 red apples, thinly sliced
4 carrots, julienned
1 medium jicama, julienned
Chopped flat leaf parsley
4 chicken cutlets (I used two boneless, skinless breasts that I trimmed and pounded out)
Sesame Ginger Dressing

Sesame Ginger Dressing 

1 tsp grated fresh ginger
4 tsp sugar
1/4 C fresh lemon juice
5 Tbsp canola oil
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp Sriracha hot sauce (I omitted this for the kids)

In a shallow bowl, mix together panko, sesame seeds, cayenne, salt and melted butter.

Dip chicken pieces into egg, then panko mixture.
The recipe didn't say what to bake them in, so I put mine on a cooling rack set down in a cookie sheet.



Bake at 400 until golden and cooked through, about 12 minutes.
(mine took more like 20)





In a bowl, whisk together ginger, sugar, lemon juice, oils and Sriracha.

Combine apples, carrots, jicama, and parsley in a large bowl.
Pour dressing over slaw and stir to combine.
 


Here's dinner on my plate:
 

 
 

As a side note, I tried out a tip I pinned onto my Kid Lunch Ideas Pinterest board.
Soaking apples in ginger ale to keep them from browning.
It worked!  
I used an apple and a half in the salad and pulled the rest of the slices out of the ginger ale, put them in a baggie and stuck them in the fridge.
I'm gonna see how they look in the morning.
If all is well, I'm totally doing it for apple slices to put in The Kid's school lunches!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, this sounds yummy AND healthy! I'm certainly for that! Ate a lot of desserts this summer! :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome apple tip. Then they wouldn't have that sour lemon flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's SO hot where we live so I usually don't have as big an appetite (or desire to cook) but this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always trying to find new ways to make chicken! I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover